Who we are
Nicolai Massyn, the founder of Green Gain Consulting, came to the shocking conclusion during the late 90’s that he really did not enjoy other peoples problems any more, and as an advocate, that was all he was doing, all day, every day, taking care of OPP (Other Peoples Problems)!
Things had to change and he decided to combine his lawyering skills with his real interests – being natural sciences and technology. This combination was the makings of an environmental lawyer. As a member of the Bar Association (the professional body that advocates belong to) he was not allowed to do any marketing or run a business, the logical move therefore was to rather commence practice as a environmental legal consultant – behold the genesis of Green Gain Consulting!
At this early stage, the business had high aspirations and some newly established capacity but alas, no clients! A rather fortuitous association with a Health and Safety practitioner who did not have the skills, but did happen to have the clients, set the wheels in motion.
At the outset of the venture certain compliance discipline truths became apparent, and these truths have helped shape the organization ever since.
Our Core Values
Always present complex information in an easy to digest way. Give them access to large amounts of information in an easy to use fashion. Get rid of “Legalese” and impressive sounding words. Make summaries fit for the layman and don’t try to impress!
Employ good people for their potential and their character, not only for their skills. Skills can always be taught and employees be sent on training courses to improve skills but personality, innate intelligence and character are inherent.
Do business with honesty and integrity. This virtue has often come to our rescue during difficult client relations.
A clear strategy has often guided us through difficult decisions as to what we must or must not get involved in! This ethos resonates with our present-day organization and Green Gain Consulting is today a leading provider of Legal Compliance products & services, within South Africa and the larger SADC region.
Provide services and products that offer a good value proposition.
Build systems to manage information and business processes to reduce reliance on having to sell employee time!
Meet the team
Chief Executive Officer
The founder of GGC is an admitted Advocate (B. Com, LLB and Masters in Environmental Management). He strives to integrate business processes, legal compliance and sustainability through proprietary cloud-based software. Nicolai likes to mountain bike, travel and explore with his family.
Renette is in charge of running all Green Gain’s day-to-day operational and financial activities, and holds a National Diploma in Office Management and Technology. In her free time Renette loves to do Adventure Boot Camp, and she loves camping and the outdoors. She also does some freelance photography, and is a qualified Life Coach and NLP Practitioner. She has also summited Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Debtors & Accounts Clerk
Precious assists the Office Manager with day-to-day tasks. She has an Honours Degree in Business Management and Finance and a Masters Degree in Strategic Management and Corporate Governance. Precious enjoys drawing, read bible-based literature, spending time with her family and jogging.
Head: Legal Services
Liezl is an admitted attorney. She has a LLB and is busy completing a Master’s Degree in Environmental Management. Liezl specializes in Health, Safety and Environmental Law with expertise in HSE System Development, Legal Compliance Auditing, Legal Training and Administrative Processes. Liezl loves working out, water-skiing, cooking and her dogs.
Legal Services Administrator
Bernice is the backbone of the Legal Services Department at GGC, making sure that all Legal support functions are handled quickly and efficiently. In her spare time, Bernice loves going to church gatherings and animal charity events. She is very passionate about animals, and loves spending time with her 7 cats and 2 dogs.
Tersia is the Head of Research at GGC, her main responsibility being the compilation and updating of various southern African SHE Legal Registers. She has a keen interest in African SHE legal requirements and the various methods in which different countries legislate and enforce such requirements. In her spare time she collects vast amounts of Adidas sneakers while raising two dogs, a cat and a baby.
Head: Business Development & Projects
Llewelyn heads up the Business Development, Marketing and Partner Programme components of the business. He is currently completing his B.Com in Business Management (UNISA). Llewelyn loves to travel, the outdoors, photography, and practicing gymnastics-based movement & strength training.
Business Development Consultant
Benita has an Honours Degree in Environmental Management and is currently completing her Master’s Degree (in same). She also has experience in consulting, training and auditing on ISO 9001, 14001 and 17020. Benita loves anything to do with music, from dancing to attending various live music events and travelling to attend them. She has an ambition to travel the world.
Business Development Administrator
Despite a formal education in Public Relations, Priscille has been fortunate enough to work in different industries – across different provinces throughout South Africa and Africa. Her experience ranges from that of Administrator to that of Skills Development Consulting, Lead Change and Project Management as well as Speed Reading Facilitation.
Priscille is an avid reader, animal lover & enjoys travelling and exploring different environments and experiences. She loves being outdoors with family and friends.
Client & Training Administrator
Suretha is in charge of the setup, administration and training of all clients on our DigiLex SHEQ Management System, as well as being the first line of support for any client queries. Suretha likes to explore the local music scene by going to festivals and supporting the local talent on weekends. She also has a great love for anything with 4 legs.
Head: Product Development, Senior Developer
Niel heads up our Development department, and is also a senior developer on the team. Niel likes gaming and anything to do with sports and technology.
Senior Product Developer
André-Marthin is a senior product developer and spends most of his time on our new and exciting product DigiData. In his spare time, André likes to do rock-climbing and play with new tech.
DigiLex Product Developer
As a DigiLex product developer, Jens assists in fixing bugs and improving the usability of DigiLex. He holds a BIS Multimedia degree and is planning to further his studies. He is a full-stack developer, but mostly enjoys front-end web development. In his free time, Jens enjoys gaming, tinkering and occasional graphic design.
Pierre is a DigiLex developer and spends most of his time developing new features for our flagship product, DigiLex. Pierre loves spending his time off playing PC games with his awesome wife, eating yummy food and keeping their two Dachshunds out of trouble.
DG-App Mobile Developer
A cross-platform Mobile Developer – Justin is the newest addition to our Development team; he has a passion for all new technologies. In his spare time, Justin likes to go Scuba diving (he is a qualified Dive Master). He is also Secretary of Round Table Pretoria 201 (Non-profit charity organization).
The Green Gain Timeline
Genesis! Nicolai Massyn leaves legal practice and is the founding member of Green Gain Consulting
- First Environmental Legal Register developed in Excel for first client
- Compliance auditing commences
- Grow client list using Excel-based legal registers in the Richards Bay area
- First employee appointed!
- Roll out first public training courses (Mining / Industry)
- eRegister launched as our first attempt at web-based electronic legal register on a song and a prayer!
- Induction training for Environmental Awareness developed and released
DigiLex launched at Environmental Law workshop business breakfast at Caesars palace with Prof. Michael Kidd as a keynote speaker
- Green Gain Website launched with DigiLex login
- Steady Growth in the Mining Sector
- 350 users on DigiLex!
- Environmental Awareness course translated and presented in isiZulu
- Services extended to performing EMPR Performance assessments in the Mining industry
- Move into the new Pretoria Office
- DigiLex upgraded with Aspect Management functionality
- 2 000 persons trained using Environmental Awareness training material
- First International auditing done in Zimbabwe
- Enter the Construction market
- Launch of Health and Safety Suite on DigiLex
- SAACE accredited Management training courses
- Expansion into petrochemicals manufacture, storage and distribution, cement manufacture, packaging and glass manufacture, iron ore and coal industries
- Expansion into hospitality industry
- Form part of multi-disciplinary project task teams
- Conducting of Environmental Legal Compliance Auditing for Certification bodies
- Military Integrated Environmental Management course
- Enter the Diamond mining market
- 1 000 users on DigiLex!
- Exhibit at the NOSHCON expo Public Environmental Law Update Training courses launched
- Enter the Pharmaceutical industry market
- DigiLex v2 upgraded with a new platform and NC Management Module
- Quarterly newsletter launched
- Quality Management Suite Launched
- 2 000 users on DigiLex – double our user-base within 2 years!
- Launch DigiLex into new African territories
- Green Gain co-authors Road Map to Environmental Legislation
- DigiLex v2.1 released: MyPage notification centre created
- Commercial Partnership Initiative launched
- 2 500 users on DigiLex!
- Exhibit at A-OSH Expo
- List of Africa countries expanded
- Client survey shows 98% will recommend DigiLex
- GGC joins ISO TC207 Technical Committee as advisor for the ISO 14001 Standard and travels to New York!
- DigiLex branded car hits the road!
- First Partner breakfast event held
- GGC visit FACIM Trade Show in Mozambique with partner Prime Link SHEQ
- DigiLex v 3.0 launched
- Launch of Corporate Compliance Suite
- New Non-Conformance & Audit modules launched, including Custom Checklists
- Green Gain Insights video channel launched
- Several big-name clients signed
- Team GGC attempts their first Warrior Race!
- Staff compliment expanded
- Energy Suite launched
- Exhibit together with partner XLink at AOSH Expo – our biggest exhibition yet
- Sustainable Compliance launch event
- Featured in several media articles (including Brainstorm + Entrepreneur magazines & EngineeringNews)
- Community outreach to informal settlement
- 3 000+ users on DigiLex and growing fast!
- Complete revamp and relaunch of Food Safety Suite
- Biggest EHS Legal Updates Workshop held yet
- Assets & Records module launched
- KZN and Cape region as well as Africa footprint expanded
- Partner network expanded – from 4 in 2012, to 15 in 2016
- Africa footprint expanded: Ghana, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast
- DG-App offline mobile app launched!
- Expansion into the Food Safety industry